Being of sound mind I embark on a complete update of an ancient (well – 42 years old) fiberglas Columbia T-26 sailboat. Still not sure if this was a great idea, but at this time (July 2017) I’m beginning to see the light at the end of this long tunnel.
Here’s what’s happened to date (after 2 years)
- cleaned boat
- scraped and sanded bottom
- repaired scratches, dents, splits
- took out all teak
- removed all hardware
- faired spots with TotalFair – quick drying and easy to use two part compound!
- primed bottom with TotalBoat TotalProtect grey two part epoxy barrier coat
- primed topsides with TotalBoat TotalProtect white two part epoxy barrier coat
- painted topsides with Epifanes Interlux Perfection – critical to follow instructions about temperature and painting conditions!
- painted bottom with Krypton – easy to use and great coverage
- got new cushions made locally using new foam and navy blue waterproof material
- sent main sail to “Sail Care” in Ford City, PA – they are great! Info@sailcare.com
- sanded all teak and applying Jamestown Distributors (my ‘go to place’) Penetrating Epoxy sealer on back side of all teak.
- purchased new teak grab rails and some teak to replace cabin roof slides
- painted bilge with TotalBoat TotalBilge – awesome but wear heavy duty mask!
- paint TotalTread on non-skid areas
- put hardware back on – replacing some of it
- put teak back on and in cabin
- put new old Evinrude (1960’s) motor on back
- install solar panel and charger for battery
- install all new LED cockpit and cabin and navigation lights
- install solar powered hatch fan
- install new marine grade sound system
- build and install new cockpit cabin door
- repair and replace new cabin sliding roof